A question to experienced Pythoneers

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Aug 20 11:53:34 EDT 2010

In article <8d1b76b7-1ba3-49c5-97cf-dc38370502ae at y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Rony  <kara at kara-moon.com> wrote:

>The manager of the development has been fired, main reason (what they
>told me) is that they have big big troubles in keeping deadlines ! For
>there last product, for which they estimated 3 man years of
>development they had 9 months extra effort, and the product was
>delivered a year to late.

Keep in mind that the real problem may have been that upper management
forced a completely unrealistic deadline.  They may also have had
difficulty translating "development effort" into Real World Timing [tm].
(For example, when I tell my boss that something will take three days of
development effort, I also make clear that between support and production
issues that I need to help with, not to mention meetings, mentoring other
people on my team, etc -- those three days will almost inevitably expand
into six business days BEST CASE.)

Try to have some quiet, off-campus discussions with developers to gather
information.

NOTE VERY CAREFULLY: if you promise to keep a conversation private, KEEP
THE PROMISE.

"...if I were on life-support, I'd rather have it run by a Gameboy than a
Windows box."  --Cliff Wells