A question to experienced Pythoneers

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at merton.oxon.org
Fri Aug 20 08:07:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 15:25, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Rony <kara at kara-moon.com> wrote:
>> Here's the story :
>> I've been hired by a company as a consultant to reorganise there
>> development department.
[snip]
>> One of my plans is to introduce Python as development tool.
>> They mostly develop back-office software, and at the moment they do it
>> all in C with MFC.
>> Another new requirement they have, is that the new product should run
>> on Win & Mac.
[snip]
> 2) Use the tools at hand. If your developers don't know Python, you
> could wind up wasting a lot of talent turning a top-notch C developer
> into a bottom-tier Python developer, assuming you don't lose them
> altogether.
>
> 3) Don't rewrite critical code in a new language unless you have
> somebody who really knows what the hell they're doing. All you've done
> is turn programming's usual first-order ignorance into a much harder
> second-order problem.

+1 to both of these, personally. If the developers are used to C and
MFC, but you need to make the product run on the Mac as well, have you
considered C / C++ GUI frameworks like GTK, WxWidgets, or Qt? Porting
your GUI to those might be a better use of time than porting the
software to Python...

--
Rami Chowdhury
"Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice." -- Hanlon's Razor