Python "why" questions

Russ P. russ.paielli at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:25:50 EDT 2010

On Aug 19, 12:13 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-

> While businesses are conservative in which languages they choose,
> language designers are not conservative in the design features they come
> up with. That there has been a gradual (although as yet incomplete)
> convergence towards zero-based indexing in languages aimed at
> programmers, and one-based indexing in languages aimed at non-
> programmers, tells you everything you need to know.

I beg to differ. I remember reading Bjarne Stroustrup's rationale for
adopting all sorts of junk from C that he really didn't want, just to
make C++ reasonably compatible with it. Had he not done that, C++
probably would have died on the vine. I'm sure the same was true of
Java and Python too.

In any case, I need to drop this discussion and move on. Mr. D'Aprano,
I usually find your posts enlightening and amusing,  but in this case
just don't seem to be converging.