79 chars or more?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 01:15:53 EDT 2010

On 08/16/2010 08:59 PM, AK wrote:

> But.. why horizontal scrolling, isn't autowrap much better than that?

Wouldn't it really make a visual mess of Python code if lines wrapped?
Maybe if they wrapped smartly.

In general, the only time I find my lines longer than 75 characters are
strings or sometimes conditionals for if statements.  But normally I can
wrap them manually so that things look neat and tidy.

In general if I find myself consistently going longer than 75 or 80
characters, I need to refactor my code to make it more manageable.  If I
have to scroll up five pages to find the beginning of a block, that
normally means my code could be simplified and improved.