79 chars or more?

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Tue Aug 17 00:26:29 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM, AK <andrei.avk at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's no doubt that there are pro's and con's, but to be fair, it's
> not like code becomes unreadable over 79 chars - the difference is that
> when your terminal is 80 chars, it's less convenient for you to read
> code that's wider and when your terminal is wider, it's less convenient
> to read code that's 79 chars.

I guess there are two-sides to the coin here so to speak. See I'm
vision impaired
so I prefer a 79 char width in my own projects and expect those that work
with me to use the same standards (stick to project standards as Steven says).

The other side is this... I'm of the opinion that if you're writing a
line of code
that's excessively long (>80char or say >100chars), then you might want to
reconsider what you're doing :) (It might be wrong).

cheers
james

--
-- James Mills