shelf-like list?

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sun Aug 15 08:39:26 EDT 2010

kj wrote:
> <snip>
>>            self.save()
>>

> Even though it is saved periodically to disk, it looks like the
> whole list remains in memory all the time?  (If so, it's not what
> I'm looking for; the whole point of saving stuff to disk is to keep
> the list's memory footprint low.)
>
> ~K

It sounds like we all made the wrong assumption about your
requirements.  It's not persistence you want, but low memory footprint
?  Do you or don't you also want the data to survive multiple runs of
the program?

If you want the data to be in a persistent disk file, you probably
should use a database.  And if you don't, then you could either increase
the size of your swapfile, or use a more complex scheme to do a memory
mapped file while the program is running, and delete it on exit.  The
swapfile is likely to be execute  more quickly than anything else you
could cook up in pure python.

DaveA