Simple Python Sandbox

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Aug 14 17:25:52 EDT 2010

On 14Aug2010 12:56, Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io> wrote:
| On 8/13/10 8:04 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
| > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:37:40 -0700, Stephen Hansen wrote:
| >> So, I'm working on a project which embeds Python into a bigger system to
| >> provide extensibility. In this project, there's basically two types of
| >> people who will be entering python code.
| >>
| >> The trusted folks, who write code which are in files, and which can do
| >> anything.
| >>
| >> The untrusted folks, who are writing very simple chunks of code which
| >> can only do limited things.
| >
| > I suggest that if the untrusted code is only supposed to be simple and
| > limited, you would be best off to write your own "mini-language" using
| > Python syntax.
|
| I considered it and rejected it. The return from the effort required
| doesn't even vaguely come close to making it worth it.

Ok, what about this: run the untrusted code in a separate process,
if necessary running as a user with different privileges.
Provide objects that need to be shared as some sort of proxy.
Then your untrusted users can do whatever they like in python because
they won't be presented with the inner parts of the privileged stuff.

This is all rather vague because I don't know exactly what your
untrusted users need to be able to do, nor how.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
      --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of
        science, 1949