GUI automation tool (windows)

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 10 23:06:49 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-11, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
><abe9b308-db83-4ca8-a71a-12d2025a7615 at i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, Alex
> Barna wrote:
>
>> On Aug 10, 10:05 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>
>>> Can???t understand the point to it. ???GUI automation??? is a contradiction in
>>> terms, because a GUI is designed for use by humans to do manual tasks,
>>> not ones that can be automated.
>>
>> Automating GUI is for testing.
>
> But the most egregious GUI problems are going to be with humans being
> unable to figure out how to do something, am I right? How are you
> going to uncover those problems, except by testing with real people?
> Automated testing isn???t going to do it.

Automated GUI testing isn't intended to uncover those sorts of
problems in GUI design.  Automated GUI intended to uncover problems in
the underlying program functionality, and is used mainly for
regression testing to insure that changes made to a program didn't
cause any unintended changes in program behavior.

Automated GUI testing often isn't even being used to test the program
whos GUI is being automated.  It's often used to test _other_ programs
with which the GUI-automated-program interacts.

--
Grant