delegate functions to member

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Aug 10 05:12:25 EDT 2010

Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have an extension module (a plugin written with Boost.Python) and around
> that a wrapper class that adapts a few things. Since the module is a
> plugin, there are multiple implementations of this. What I'm currently
> doing is this:
>
>  plugin = __import__(plugin_name)
>
>  class PluginWrapper(plugin.PluginClass):
>
> This means that the definition of class PluginWrapper actually depends on
> the previously loaded module. What I would like to do is to define the
> wrapper just once and instead pass the plugin module to the constructor:
>
>  class PluginWrapper(object):
>  plugin = __import__(plugin_name)
>  instance = PluginWrapper(plugin)
>

> Now, I use the wrapper to make some function more friendly (e.g. default
> parameters, keyword-parameters, wrapping raw handles) but I want other
> functions from the baseclass to remain untouched. If I use a baseclass,
> this lookup is automatic. However, when I pass the instance to the
> constructor, I have to store it in a member, and then I have to add code
> for every function only to delegate it to that member.
>
> Is there an easy and generic way out of this?

Use getattr()

>>> class W(object):
...     def __init__(self, wrapped): self._wrapped = wrapped
...     def __getattr__(self, name):
...             return getattr(self._wrapped, name)
>>> class A(object):
...     def hello(self): print "hello"
>>> w.hello()
hello

However, with newsytle classes this doesn't work for __special__ methods

'<__main__.W object at 0x7f04ef2d4c50>'

Peter