Microsoft lessening commitment to IronPython and IronRuby

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Aug 10 02:19:21 EDT 2010

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>Frankly I never understood the point of IronPython and IronRuby. They seemed
>like a desperate attempt to keep Dotnet relevant in the modern world of
>dynamic languages. Looks like it was a failure. Yawn.

I'm not sure that's really fair.  The .NET Common Language Runtime is a
vast and very useful class library, including two complete GUI systems. The
thought was that IronPython and IronRuby would let people who were
comfortable in those languages tap into the CLR.

In the end, it seemed to me that writing an IronPython program was mostly
an exercise of writing it in C# and then translating.  .NET is just too
"tuned" for C# and VB.  Although IronPython was a good fit, it was just not
a great fit.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.