Python -Vs- Ruby: A regexp match to the death!

Stefan Schwarzer sschwarzer at sschwarzer.net
Mon Aug 9 17:43:08 EDT 2010

Hi Robert,

On 2010-08-09 22:23, Robert Kern wrote:
> On 2010-08-09 06:42 , Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
>> Unfortunatey, when I enter
>>
>>    In [2]: %paste
>>
>> at the prompt it gives me (before I pasted anything)
>>
>>    In [2]: %paste
>>    ------------------------------------------------------------
>>       File "<string>", line 1
>>         http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython/0.10
>>             ^
>>    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Yes, that's because you had that URL in your clipboard, not Python code. What
> were you expecting to happen?

I got that traceback as soon as I typed in "%paste" and
pressed enter, without pasting anything in the terminal.
I had assumed it works like :paste in Vim, activating a
kind of "paste mode" where everything pasted into the
terminal is modified as the help text suggests.

Ok, I just noticed I should have actually _read_ the
help text, not just scanned it. ;-) Sorry for the
confusion.

Stefan