Why is python not written in C++ ?

Ulrich Eckhardt eckhardt at satorlaser.com
Mon Aug 9 09:39:08 EDT 2010

candide wrote:
> Python is an object oriented langage (OOL). The Python main
> implementation is written in pure and "old" C90. Is it for historical
> reasons?

The fact that Python is OOP doesn't mean that the implementation of it has
to be written using an OOP language.

Other than that, I'm actually surprised that nobody mentioned that Python
actually _is_ written in C++. Yes, it's restricted to a subset thereof that
is compatible to C, but you could also claim that it was written in a
subset of C compatible to C++.

:)

Uli

--