Win7. Why Don't Matplotlib, ... Show up in Control Panel Add-Remove?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sun Aug 8 19:34:37 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM, W. eWatson <wolftracks at invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/2010 10:56 AM, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM, David Robinow<drobinow at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> google is not relevant to this issue. This group is the correct forum.
>>> I'm not sure what the answer to the OP's problem is. If you no longer
>>> wish to use these modules I suggest doing nothing. No harm will
>>> result.
>>
>> Since this is specifically a matplotlib and scipy question, the most
>> relevant forums would be the matplotlib and scipy mailing lists. The
>> maintainers of those projects are probably on those lists, and they'll
>> be able to answer this question better than we can since they know
>> what the installers do in the first place.

> Well, you have a good point, and I will do that. However, I'm surprised
> there doesn't seem to be some uniformity on this subject.
>
> Yes, removing them directly is an option, but I prefer to find out why the
> discrepancy? BTW, I really do not plan to remove them now. The anomaly does
> deserve an answer.

There's a discrepancy because package management on Python is
completely broken. Distutils and Setuptools (and it's new fork,
Distribute) are inadequate- they act as installers, but don't provide
a way to uninstall the program. There are attempts to fix this, such
as pip and Activestate's PyPM, but they aren't used as widely as the
older methods.