python interview quuestions

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Aug 6 22:04:10 EDT 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> Personally, I'd rather see how a potential hire *tests* his code than how
> he writes it. Writing code is easy. Testing code is harder. Testing it
> properly is harder still -- it's amazing how many people forget that it's
> not just necessary to test the function on data that *works*, but also on
> data that fails as well (unless, of course, you're happy with function
> behaviour that is unspecified in the face of errors).
>
> I also want to see when the coder thinks she's done.

Perhaps I'm reading more into your choice of words than you intended,
but I'm curious what you envision a "coder" does.  I think of "coder"
and a rather low-level job.  Somebody who just writes code.  I'm
generally looking for somebody who is more of a software engineer.
Somebody who is not just writing some code, but who is building a
product.  That means, as you suggest, that it's documented, tested,
robust, maintainable, portable, all that good stuff.

> If I say "Write a function that does fizzbuzz", does she assume I
> want *just* the function, or does she ask questions like "Do you want
> documentation and tests? What sort of tests?".

I think this depends on the situation.  For writing code at a whiteboard
while i watched, I'd expect the candidate to concentrate just on the
code itself.  If it was an assigment, as in, "Write a program to do X,
and mail it to me by tomorrow", I'd expect a much more complete
treatment.