Python Portability--Not very portable?

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Fri Aug 6 07:37:59 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM, W. eWatson <wolftracks at invalid.com> wrote:

> On 8/5/2010 7:45 PM, geremy condra wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM, W. eWatson<wolftracks at invalid.com>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> In my on-again-off-again experience with Python for 18 months,
>>> portability
>>>
>>> seems an issue.
>>>
>>> As an example, my inexperienced Python partner 30 miles away has gotten
>>> out
>>> of step somehow. I think by installing a different version of numpy than
>>> use. I gave him a program we both use months ago, and he had no trouble.
>>> (We
>>> both use IDLE on 2.5). I made a one character change to it and sent him
>>> the
>>> new py file. He can't execute it. I doubt he has changed anything in the
>>> intervening period.
>>>

>> Portability doesn't mean you can use different versions of your
>> dependencies and be A-OK. It should be fairly obvious that if the
>> behavior of your dependencies changes, your code needs to change to
>> ensure that it demonstrates the same behavior. Portability also
>> doesn't mean that any given one-character change is valid, so that may
>> be your issue as well.
>>
>>  A further example. Months ago I decided to see if I could compile a
>>> program
>>> to avoid such problems as above. I planned to satisfy that need, and see
>>> if
>>> I could distribute some simple programs to non-Python friends. I pretty
>>> well
>>> understand the idea,and got it working with a small program. It seemed
>>> like
>>> a lot of manual labor to do it.
>>>

>> What, why were you compiling a program? And why not just use distutils?
>>
>> Geremy Condra
>>

> I checked the one char change on my system thoroughly. I looked around on
> some forums and NGs 4 months ago, and found no one even had a simple
> "compiled program" available to even demonstrate some simple example.
>
> I would think there are some small time and big time Python players who
> sell executable versions of their programs for profit?
>
> disutils. Sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure I was using Py2Exe, and disutils
> might have been part of it.

And what was hard to do with Py2Exe? i used it on relatively complex college
work using QT and the worse i had to do was include a "sip" option to make
Py2Exe work with PyQT. But the setup.py script that generates the .exe
(automatically) was ridiculously small and simple (
https://svn.inf.ufsc.br/katcipis/python/FormaisGUI/src/setup.py).

For me compiling a python program into an .exe always was pretty easy
(already made it at my work with a prototype, that one was quite complex, i
just had some problem with the netifaces module).

http://www.getgnulinux.org/windows