Why is python not written in C++ ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Aug 5 19:45:50 EDT 2010

In article <i3e43n$v7c$4 at lust.ihug.co.nz>,
 Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> In message <roy-6BCFA7.22564104082010 at news.panix.com>, Roy Smith wrote:
>
> > C++, for all its flaws, had one powerful feature which made it very
> > popular.  It is a superset of C.
>
> Actually, it never was.

Yes, there are a few corner cases where valid C syntax has different
semantics in C and C++.  But, they are very few.  Calling C++ a superset
of C is essentially correct.

It is certainly correct from the level of a risk-averse development
manager deciding if he or she is willing to use C++ for the first time.
Fear of the unknown is a powerful deterrent.  It's a lot easier to
accept something like C++ because "it's just a superset of C, and we've
been using C for years".

I suspect the same effect contributed to Java's success as well.  "Look,
it's got curly braces and semicolons.  It's just like C!"