Package management

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Aug 4 19:56:26 EDT 2010

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> writes:

> In message <87aap44mc7.fsf_-_ at benfinney.id.au>, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > Sadly, Python's package management is rather lacking by these
> > standards. The Distutils legacy assumption of “package recipient,
> > system administrator, and end user are all the same person”, among
> > other design decisions, makes it unusually difficult to have the
> > necessary separation of concerns between OS packaging, system
> > administration, and end user.
>
> Doesn’t matter. I’m pretty sure Debian has a way of automatically
> turning a distutils build into a .deb package with all the right
> dependencies. :)

Your certainty is no comfort to those who have to do the work of
actually making those packages. Have you ever tried to make such a
package and get it into Debian?

The automation you speak of must be made and maintained by people, and
they can only automate to the extent that the Distutils output allows.
Have you spoken about this with the people who did that work, and what
did they say to give you your certainty? If not, on what do you base
your certainty?

--
 \          “Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a |
  `\                                          feature.” —Rich Kulawiec |