Questions, newbies, and community (was: python terminology on classes)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Aug 4 19:00:08 EDT 2010

"Rhodri James" <rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:28:48 +0100, Steve Ferg
> <steve.ferg.bitbucket at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Seriously, we can't keep doing your thinking for you. The answers
> >> to all your questions are section 9 of the tutorial.
> >
> > This is is just the kind of newbie-hostile smart-ass reply that we do
> > not want to see on comp.lang.python.
[…]

> With Peng Yu, we've been through that quite a lot.  It seemed time to
> be a little sharper in the hope that learning might emerge.

As someone who generally deplores sharp replies to newbies for the
negative effect on the community as a whole and on later newcomers in
particular: I have to agree with Rhodri here. This specific case has
reached a point where some sharpness is warranted, in my opinion.

Peng Yu, please take Rhodri's reply in a spirit of mentoring. You have
all the tools at your disposal and they have been pointed out to you
numerous times. When asking a question of others, please demonstrate
that you have exhausted the existing resources you clearly know you have
available to you.

--
 \      “What we usually pray to God is not that His will be done, but |
  `\                       that He approve ours.” —Helga Bergold Gross |