Why is python not written in C++ ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Aug 4 00:00:41 EDT 2010

In article
<ba47afb4-5798-41da-85d3-bb60cf97c604 at c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
 sturlamolden <sturlamolden at yahoo.no> wrote:

> On 4 Aug, 04:41, Grant Edwards <inva... at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > The issue that would prevent its use where I work is the inability to
> > hire anybody who knows Ada.  You can't hire anybody who knows C++
> > either, but you can hire lots of people who claim they do.
>
> That is very true.

I suspect there are less than 100 people in the world who "know C++" in
the sense that they know every feature, every detail, every quirk.
These are the people who sit on the standards committee, write the books
we all buy, etc.

There are, however, a lot of people who know a large enough subset of
C++ to be productive and to write effective, safe, quality code within
those boundaries.  These people know what they don't know and either
avoid using those features, or know where (and when) to look it up.  I
put myself in that camp.

The problem is, there are also a very large number of people who put
"expert C++" on their resumes and know just enough to be dangerous.

The real problem is that it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between
the members of the latter two groups in an interview.