checking that process binds a port, fuser functionality

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Aug 3 10:43:13 EDT 2010

On Aug 3, 10:32 am, Zdenek Maxa <zdenekm... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, but I need a check that certain known process's PID listens on a
> defined port.  connect() would certainly work, but I may end up
> connecting to a different process.

Then you need to define your protocol such that the client and server
engage in some sort of identification / authentication exchange when
they connect.

Client: Who are you?
Server: I am PID 12345
Client: That's not who I was expecting, I'm going away!

Depending on how secure you need this to be, the exchange might
include some kind of cryptographic signature.