Why is python not written in C++ ?

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sun Aug 1 21:09:48 EDT 2010

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

> In article <4c55fe82$0$9111$426a34cc at news.free.fr>,
>  candide <candide at free.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Python is an object oriented langage (OOL). The Python main
>> implementation is written in pure and "old" C90. Is it for historical
>> reasons?
>>
>> C is not an OOL and C++ strongly is. I wonder if it wouldn't be more
>> suitable to implement an OOL with another one.
>
> One thing that comes to mind is that it's much easier to distribute C
> libraries than C++ libraries.

In the beginning of C++ there were programs that just converted C++ to C
(frontends). At least that is how the C++ compiler Acorn sold worked.
So I don't think your argument was much true back then.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/