IDLE will not startup after upgrading Python on Mac OS X

Frederick Manley fmanley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 09:45:04 EDT 2010

I have snow leopard and a brand new mac book pro.  After running python from
x11, I saw that I had python 2.5.1 installed on this laptop, so went to
python.org to download Python 2.7, as I was "strongly encouraged" to do on
the website.

The problem is that Mac doesn't come with a text editor for writing
programs.  TextEdit won't allow you to save files with the ".py" extension.
 So IDLE is really my only choice.  The only problem is, whenever I start it
up (I've tried starting it from the Terminal and double clicking the icon) I
get the following message:

"Idle's subprocess cannot make connection.  Either Idle can't start a
subprocess or a personal firewall is blocking the connection."

Searching various programming forums came up with similar problems users
have had in windows, but I couldn't find any information on how to fix this
problem on a mac with OSX.  Please help.

Thanks,
Fred