Reading the access attributes of directories in Windows

vsoler vicente.soler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 11:55:09 EDT 2010

Hello everyone!

I need to read, for each of the directories in a shared file server
unit, who has access to the directories and what type of access
privileges.

This is something that I can easily do interactively in my Windows
Document Explorer by right clicking a single directory, clicking on
Properties, then on Security.

There I can see the Users and Group of Users that have access to the
selected directory, as well as the type of access to that directory
(Read/Write/eXecute etc.)

Since I have to prepare a new access scheme, I first need to read what
the current situation is.

I've been looking in the "os" library, and found the "os.chmod" method
but I am not sure that it is going to give me what I need. Should I
also used library "stat"?

So far I have not been able to find my way to the solution of this
problem.

Googling the web, I have seen that some examples provive some kind of
information but using codes (755 or 0577) that I shoud translate to
some form of understandable text messages.

I think that my problem consists of finding the correct library/method
to get the solution.

Can anybody help?

Thank you

Using Python 3.1 on Windows Vista