Seeking help with urllib2 response reading

Hiral Shah hashah1985 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 00:06:54 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I am facing problem reading response from urllib2 request. i.e. with read()
method.

I am trying to access XMLAPI using python. I am getting weird behavior from
server, when reading response.Code for calling XMLAPI is as follows:

  headers = {'Content-type': 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'}
  request = urllib2.Request(siteXMLAPIURL,xmlStr,headers)
  response = urllib2.urlopen(request)
  print response.read()

In above code:
xmlStr: is String containing XML request
siteXMLAPIURL: URL of the site to send request. It is in form "
https://xxx.xxx.com/XXXService/XXXService

Problem Description:

I am calling URL for creating product by passing methodname(CreateProduct),
productId, productCreateDate, productCreateTime etc in XML form.  Call to
XMLAPI always succeed and product is created on site. But when I call
.read() method to print response, then "productCreateTimes" gets changed on
server !!

For example,
Case 1: Not using .read() method. (i.e. commenting print line in above code)
Calling API by passing productCreateTime = 08/02/10 08:00:00,and then
product is being created with time 08/02/10 08:00:00. i.e. everything is
fine here

Now,
Case 2: Using read() method (i.e. having print line is code)
Calling API by passing productCreateTime = 08/02/10 08:00:00 and then
product is being created with time 08/02/10 09:00:00. Here, server is adding
one more hour to productCrateTime. Which is really strange for me!!

FYI: If I access same API with java, everything is fine all time.

I am unable to understand why read() method is changing server behavior!!
Can anyone please guide me in same?

Thank you so much for your time. Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
Hiral