question about an exciting gotcha for unittests (and elsewhere) ...

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Apr 23 08:03:29 EDT 2010

On 23Apr2010 13:25, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
| Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > and it's failing. I've traced the failure cause, ending up with this
| > assertion message from the end of serialise() above:
| >
| >   AssertionError: <class '__main__.Node'> HOST:foo:{} <class
| >   'cs.nodedb.node.Node'>
| >
| > Experienced users will see at once what's happened: I've made a Node
| > myself in the test using the local class, and the Node class is thus
| > __main__.Node. However, my sql Backend class has independently imported
| > the "Node" and "Backend" classes from "cs.nodedb.node". So when _it_
| > calls serialise(), "Node" is "cs.nodedb.node.Node".
| >
| > And lo, the:
| >   if isinstance(value, Node):
| > test at the top of serialise() fails.
| >
| > What's a sensible way of doing this correctly?
|
| Move the unit tests into a separate script and have that import the module
| cs.nodedb.node.

Hmm. I have been very attracted by the idea of having the unittest in
the module itself, and run if I "run" the module alone (instead of
importing it).

Conversely, I've also got a few modules that are standalone programs
and running _then_ runs the app, not a bunch of tests.

Having the tests elsewhere would solve the problem as you say; an import
of the module is what "real" code will be doing and, as my misadventure
above demonstrates, that's a different thing as far as namespaces go.

| In general, avoid importing a module and at the same time using it as the
| main script.

Fsir enough - that's a succinct description of what I did wrong.

| When persistent objects are involved "the same time" can even
| spread over distinct runs of separate scripts accessing the same data.

Good point; this is another thing to add to my reluctance to use
persistent objects. Persistent _data_, sure, and my little nodedb
package is exactly such an animal, but not persistent objects.

| Obvious? But you asked for a /sensible/ way.

Indeed. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to pursue it; the rest of my
thread shows I've worked around some of the problem but the workaround
still depends somewhat on the package internal dependencies and going
your way with a separate test script that does a proper import will
avoid that weakness.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Thought: Why does man kill?  He kills for food.  And not only for
food: frequently there must be a beverage.      - Woody Allen