Write web apps in Python?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Apr 20 13:36:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 17:05 +0200, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :
> > There are numerous ways to efficiently retains state between page views
> > [session id + memcache or even just shared memory].
> Never played with shared memory in PHP. Sessions will at best retains
> "state" (data), and it's not a free lunch neither (you'll still have to
> reload that state one way or another).

I'd prefer the term "access" over "reload".

> And you'll still have to parse included .php files on each and every request.

False.  Production sites [all?] use interpreter caches that maintain
'compiled' pages in shared memory.  This works *very* well.

> >> I'm not sure there's a way to do such a thing in PHP,
> > There isn't.  [Speaking as an ~15 year administrator and developer].
> > Also PHP's memory management is *B*A*D*, so please don't try to create
> > long running processes in PHP.
> Wasn't designed for such a thing anyway !-)

Exactly;  that never stops people from trying.

> > But if you have intensive processing to do your web front end should
> > signal a backend to do the 'real' work;  keeping your front end thin and
> > svelt.  There are numerous ways to accomplish that.
> For which definition of "intensive processing" ? Building a web page
> with Drupal when you have a dozen modules hooked here and there can
> already imply some processing...

Again, the compilation of the modules is cached.  The amount of
processing required for 'import...' declines to near zero.