Write web apps in Python?

Bryan bryanjugglercryptographer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 07:09:50 EDT 2010

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Gilles Ganault a écrit :
> > Apart from the ease of having the application run at all times, I'd be
> > curious to read about an application that was written in PHP and then
> > a long-running process and see if performance improved.
>
> I'm not sure there's a way to do such a thing in PHP, at least in a way
> that wouldn't make the whole benchmark totally meaningless.

I think you guys got some incorrect info about PHP. A variety of
execution options are available, such as FastCGI and in-server
modules. PHP frameworks generally allow and encourage application code
to be independent of the underlying plumbing. Many large,
sophisticated, high-volume web apps are in PHP.

We like Python 'round here, but PHP, Ruby, Perl, Java, and others are
viable languages for web apps. Each has its distinguishing features --
how efficiently a web app gets invoked is not among them. It's not a
language issue. What was the theory here? Did we think the PHP
community too stupid to understand FastCGI?

--
--Bryan Olson