python wia and RegisterEvent

gelonida gelonida at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 11:37:49 EDT 2010

Hi Mark,

On Apr 16, 3:16 am, Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/04/2010 7:15 AM,gelonidawrote:
>
> The model used by pywin32 is more "low level" than that exposed by some
> of the MS languages.  You probably need something closer to:
>
>   class MgrHandlerClass:
>        def OnEvent(self, EventID=defaultNamedNotOptArg, ...):
>            print "Called back with ..."
>
> manager = win32com.client.DispatchWithEvents("WIA.DeviceManager",
> MgrHandlerClass)
> manager.RegisterEvent(EventID=constants.wiaEventDeviceConnected,DeviceID=u'*')
> manager.RegisterEvent(EventID=constants.wiaEventDeviceDisconnected,DeviceID=u'*')
>
> And magically your OnEvent should be called when the event happens.
> Googling for 'DispatchWithEvents' might find some good hits for more
> information.

I'm still stuck. Please look at following code snippet.
I tried to reduce it to the absolute minimum.
running under WinXP and python 2.6.4

import win32com.client,pythoncom,time

defaultNamedNotOptArg=pythoncom.Empty
wiaEventDeviceConnected       =u'{A28BBADE-64B6-11D2-
A231-00C04FA31809}' # from enum EventID

class MgrHandlerClass: # doesn't work either
    def OnEvent(self, EventID=defaultNamedNotOptArg,
DeviceID=defaultNamedNotOptArg, ItemID=defaultNamedNotOptArg):
        print "Called back with ..."

manager = win32com.client.DispatchWithEvents("WIA.DeviceManager",
MgrHandlerClass)
manager.RegisterEvent(EventID=wiaEventDeviceConnected,DeviceID=u'*')

while True:
    print "sleep"
    time.sleep(10)

When I plug / unplug a USB WIA device nothing shows up.
My C# implementation prints messages on wiaEventDeviceConnected /
wiaEventDeviceDisconnected events if I register them.

What am I missing?

Should MgrHandlerClass inherit from some kind of default class?