Globally override built-in print function?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 11:20:21 EDT 2010

On 2010-04-15 21:17 PM, Dave W. wrote:
>>> I naively thought I could capture output from exec()'ed print
>>> invocations by (somehow) overriding 'print' globally.  But this
>>> seems not to be possible.<snip>
>

>>     old_print = __builtins__.print
>>     __builtins__.print = printhook
>>     yield
>>     __builtins__.print = old_print
>
> I'm pretty sure this is semantically equivalent to my original code,
> but I gave it a try anyway.

Not at all. Declaring "global print" then assigning to "print" simply changes
what the module's "print" variable refers to. Other modules are unaffected.
"Global" variables aren't truly global; they are actually local to the module.
You need to replace it in the __builtins__ because that's where everyone else
gets it.

> FWIW, it doesn't work, either. :-}

Right. Lie answered why. I didn't pay attention and thought you were already
using Python 3.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."