Download Visual Studio Express 2008 now

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Fri Apr 16 08:30:51 EDT 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 16:36 , Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> If you are planning to build Python extension modules in the next five
> years, I recommend that you obtain a copy of VS Express

Am I missing something here?  I have heard this before, but I have
built extension modules many times under windows (using Cython) and
never once used a MS product.  I've just had to change a distutils
config file to use a different compiler (mingw32, directions here:
http://docs.cython.org/src/tutorial/appendix.html).  It seems to work
fine.  What is the basis of this claim that you need MS Visual Studio
to do it?

			bb
--
Brian Blais