SEC proposes the use of Python and XML

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Apr 11 04:12:15 EDT 2010

On 10Apr2010 23:05, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:
| On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Ted Larson Freeman
| <freeman at alumni.stanford.org> wrote:
| > This week the SEC proposed new requirements for asset-backed
| > securities that include the use of XML and Python:
| >
| > "The asset-level information would be provided according to proposed
| > standards and in a tagged data format using eXtensible Markup Language
| > (XML). In addition, we are proposing to require, along with the
| > prospectus filing, the filing of a computer program of the contractual
| > cash flow provisions expressed as downloadable source code in Python,
| > a commonly used open source interpretive programming language."
|
| I guess we've now gone from "executable pseudocode" to "executable
| legal code" :-)

And not before time, either :-(

But unless they require it to be usable as unit tests (eg running as
validation of a live transaction stream, or in some audit mode) it may be
less useful than one might hope. Of course, if they're gone as far as
requiring python code, perhaps that's exactly what they hope to be able to
do.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

One of the guys in my homebrew club is a mailman. He says that one of the
requirements to work for the post office is to be able to work the slide on a
9mm while laughing.     - Phillip J. Birmingham