(a==b) ? 'Yes' : 'No'

Sun Apr 4 20:19:12 EDT 2010

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 12:08:31 +1200, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> Not according to the PEP. No fewer than 16 alternatives were put to a
>> vote, and with no clear winner (but many obvious losers) Guido made the
>> final decision.
>
> As I remember, the decision made on the basis of the vote was *not* to
> add a conditional expression at all, because of the fact that there was
> no clear winner.
>
> It was some time later that Guido suddenly announced out of the blue
> that he was accepting one of the choices that he had earlier said he
> didn't like!
>
> The ways of the BDFL are strange indeed. :-)

I think what happened was the he got bitten by a subtle bug in the
previous idiom for the ternary operator:

condition and x or y

will return (x if condition else y) *unless* x itself happens to be a
false value. This demonstrated that the and/or idiom was not a suitable
alternative to a short-circuiting ternary operator.

--
Steven