C-style static variables in Python?

Stephen Hansen apt.shansen at gmail.invalid
Fri Apr 2 23:11:21 EDT 2010

On 2010-04-02 19:42:29 -0700, Ethan Furman said:

> Terry Reedy wrote:

>> Unless one wants the intialization of mongo delayed in case spam is
>> never called, it can go in __init__ instead.
>
> As a matter of fact, I have an object that is usually not called during
> it's modules use, so I put in __getattr__.  Sped the modules load time
> back up to pert near instantaneous.  :)
>
> ~Ethan~

I prefer:

class Spam(object):
    def __init__(self):
        self._mondo = None

    def _get_mondo(self):
        if self._mondo is None:
            self._mondo = heavy_lifting_at_runtime()
        return self._mondo

    mondo = property(_get_mondo)

    def __call__(self, x, y, z):
        return frobnicate(x,y,z, self.mondo)

I don't know if properties are really faster or slower then a
__getattr__, but I find them a lot cleaner if I want to delay some
calculation until needed like that.

--
--S

... p.s: change the ".invalid" to ".com" in email address to reply privately.