associative array

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 07:57:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:40:30 -0700, Javier Montoya wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm a newbie in python and would be acknowledge if somebody could shed
> some light on associative arrays.
> More precisely, I would like to create a multi-dimensional associative
> array. I have for example a list of students which are identified
> uniquely by their student IDs. Additionally, for each student I have
> some information: FirstName, LastName, etc.
>
> The array would have then the following form: [StudentID] =>
> [FirstName][LastName][Telephone]...[ ... ]
>
> I would like to be able to access a field directly by using a StudentID
> [StudentID][FirstName]
> [StudentID][LastName]
>
> How could I manipulate such an array (create the array, add elements,
> access data)?
>
> Best wishes

I know this is not a direct answer, but in your case I would probably use
a database, because it is the easiest and most standardized way to access
such types of data. If you don't want something heavyweight, use sqlite
with in-memory databases/persistent file.

Look at sqlite3 module in python.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)