sorting ascending/descending with operator.attrgetter

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Apr 1 01:54:39 EDT 2010

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:19:27 -0400, Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> I'm the same myself, and I know from personal experience that while I am
>> (simply?) seeking accuracy and truth it sometimes bugs the hell out of
>> people ...
>
> By the way, why are we acting as if seeking accuracy and truth is a bad
> thing?

We aren't. Or, at least, I'm not trying to convey that. But you have to
remember you aren't conversing with robots here. People have emotions,
and they will affect the way they react to your utterances whether you
like or not, and whether you think it's reasonable or not.

> Personally, if I were interviewing job applicants, one of the things I'd
> like to know is how well they react to criticism. This especially applies
> to technical and programming roles. I've managed thin-skinned prima
> donnas who spit the dummy if someone dares point out they made a mistake,
> and so long as I'm involved in the hiring process I won't be doing so
> again. Give me a pedantic, technically precise, obnoxiously *correct*
> coder over a sloppy one any time.

As an employee, possibly (though the expense of stopping his colleagues
from killing him may make the cost prohibitive). As a friend, one might
be prepared to be forgiving.

As a Usenet correspondent I find that too much pedantry becomes tiresome
after a while, and can detract from the pleasures of the correspondence.
It should hardly be necessary to point out that you *aren't*
interviewing job applicants on c.l.py (or at least not overtly).

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/