Building a GUI Toolkit

Tim Diels limyreth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 07:49:08 EDT 2010

Hi

I was thinking of writing a GUI toolkit from scratch using a basic '2D
library'. I have already come across the Widget Construction Kit.

My main question is: Could I build a GUI toolkit of reasonable
performance with the Widget Construction Kit, would it still feel more
or less lightweight? By reasonable I mean that the user wouldn't think
of the interface as being slow or unresponsive.

I've also thought of using pyglet to build widgets with, but this would
seem to be overkill. As a side question: by using opengl, the work would
be delegated to the GPU rather than the CPU; is this always a good
thing, or does it have downsides as well (performance, power usage, ...)?

Are there any other libraries that may be of interest to me?

Thanks in advance