when should I explicitely close a file?

gelonida gelonida at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 18:01:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've been told, that following code snippet is not good.

open("myfile","w").write(astring) , because I'm neither explicitely
closing nor using the new 'with' syntax.

What exactly is the impact of not closing the file explicitely
(implicitley with a 'with' block)?

Even with my example
I'd expected to get an exception raised if not all data could have
been written.

I'd also expected, that all write data is flushed as soon as the
filehandle is out of scope (meaning in the next line of my source
code).

Thanks for explaining me exactly what kind of evil I could encounter
with not explicitely closing.