Startup problems with Python 3.1.2 and PythonPath under XP

tkpmep at hotmail.com tkpmep at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:56:35 EDT 2010

I run Python under Windows XP SP3, and for the longest time, I have
installed it on my C: drive under C:\PythonXX (XX = 20, 21., ....26),
and maintained all my Python files on our network in a directory
called H:\Python that I point to by creating an environment variable
called PYTHONPATH. I recently installed 3.1.2 under C:\Python31, and
now IDLE crashes every single time Python 3.1 starts up. If I remove
PYTHONPATH, it starts up without a problem. The mystery deepens -
Python 2.6 starts without a hiccup with or without PYTHONPATH! What
could the issue be? Is there any other way to have H:\Python appended
to sys.path when I start Python 3.1?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice

Thomas Philips