Partial directory search question

chad cdalten at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 22:52:00 EDT 2009

On Sep 29, 7:20 pm, Tim Chase <python.l... at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> > What's the sanest way to print out all the files in the directory that
> > start with the underscore? Ie, I just want to list _1, _2, _3, _4.
>
> I'd use a string's join() method to combine the results of a
> list-comprehension or generator that filtered the output of
> os.listdir() based on the startswith() method of the strings.
>
> Left intentionally oblique and code-free because this sounds a
> bit like a home-work problem.  If you're a python coder, that
> should make pretty decent sense and be a one-liner to implement.
>
> -tkc

Okay, sorry for the delay to the response. I got side tracked trying
to stalk, I mean talk to the 59 year old neighbor girl. Anyways, I
couldn't get it to one in one line. Here is what I did...

% more rec.py
#!/usr/local/bin/python

import os
import time

for filename in os.listdir("/usr/bbs/confs/september"):
     #stat = os.stat(filename)
     if filename.startswith("_"):
        print filename

./rec.py
_1
_2
_3
_4
_5
_6
_7
_8

It correctly prints out all the files in the directory that start with
an underscore.