Business issues regarding adapting Python

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Sep 28 19:46:33 EDT 2009

On Sep 27, 12:13 am, Nash <nasrul... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm a big time python fan and it has helped me write code fast and
> push it out quickly. We have a medium sized telecom product written
> 90% in Python and 10% in Java. The problem is, in the place where we
> work (Pakistan), we can't find Python developers. I asked HR to send
> me figures on how many people do we have available who have worked
> with C++, Java, PHP and Python with 2-3 years of experience. They did
> a search on available candidates on Pakistan's biggest jobsite and
> this is what they sent:
>
> Language: Available Candidates in Pakistan (Available Candidates in
> our city)
> Java: 2020 (750)
> C++: 1540 (650)
> PHP: 630 (310)
> Python: 25 (4)
>
> Almost no-one shows up with Python experience when we put out a job
> opening and now it is becoming a real hurdle. Despite our liking and
> cost savings with the language, we are thinking about shifting to
> Java.
>
> 1. Have any of you faced a similar issue? How did you resolve it?
> 2. Do you think it makes sense to hire good programmers and train them
> on Python?
> 3. If we do train people in Python for say a month; are we just
> creating a team of mediocre programmers? Someone who has worked with
> Python for over an year is much different than someone who has worked
> with Python for only a month.
> 4. Any suggestions or idea? Related posts, articles etc would
> certainly help!
>
> I know that going Java will probably mean a 3x increase in the number
> of people that we have and require time for Python component
> replacement with Java ones. But for Business Continuity sake,
> management doesn't mind.
>
> Thanks a lot everyone!

If I were the one looking for developers, I wouldn't search for
people with Python experience.  IMO, any good developer can rapidly
learn to be a good Python developer.

In contrast, ISTM that it takes at least 6 months to become
a good Java developer and a couple years to become a decent
C++ programmer.  Python is distinct because it is not that
hard to learn.

So, if I were hiring, I would focus on general programming skills
and knowledge of the problem domain.

Raymond