What does the list_folders() method of mailbox.Maildir actually ??do (if anything)?

tinnews at isbd.co.uk tinnews at isbd.co.uk
Sat Sep 26 11:51:08 EDT 2009

Jeff McNeil <jeff at jmcneil.net> wrote:
> > > My maildir hierarchy is created by mutt which is a *very* standards
> > > compliant MUA, surely standard python libraries should work with
> > > standard maildirs not some wierd extension thereof.
> >
> > > --
> > > Chris Green
> >
> > The doc says that "Folders of the style introduced by the Courier mail
> > transfer agent are also supported. Any subdirectory of the main
> > mailbox is considered a folder if '.' is the first character in its
> > name."  It's not an explicit endorsement of Maildir++, but it touches
> > on what it considers a folder definition. I'm treading on hazy memory
> > here, but I believe Maildir++ is the definition provided by the
> > Courier folks.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> > mcjeff.blogspot.com
>
> http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Maildir
>
> That might help as well. You can have Mutt setup your folders using
> that extended method.

Thanks, but no thanks.  It creates 'folders' which aren't proper
hierarchical directories at all and breaks all sorts of standard
Unix/Linux ways of handling data.  It's basically *horrible* and
to be avoided at all costs if you actually want to have a local mail
spool. It's OK if it's hidden behind an IMAP mail server or something
but otherwise no.

--
Chris Green