Distributing Python-programs to Ubuntu users

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Sep 25 16:57:26 EDT 2009

On 25 Sep, 13:21, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarna... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of two target audiences:
>
> 1. Early adopters/beta-testers. This would include:
>   - my non-computer-geek brother on a windows-machine. I'll go for py2exe.
>   - any non-geek visiting my blog using windows (py2exe)

I'd really like to hear of any positive experiences making installers
involving PyGame for any system, but especially for Windows using
cross-compilation of Python and library dependencies from non-Windows
systems with tools such as gcc for mingw32.

>   - any geeks visiting my blog that use Ubuntu (tell them about the PPA-system)
>   - any geeks visiting my blog that are non-Ubuntu (i'll just provide
> the source code and tell them to apt-get python-pygame)

Typically, applications such as games written to use PyGame can just
run out of their distribution directory if that's good enough. You can
go to all kinds of lengths to make the game comply with packaging
standards and appear in the desktop menus - the latter is actually
quite easy within the Debian packaging infrastructure once you know
how - but it's not really necessary.

Paul