Distributing Python-programs to Ubuntu users

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Sep 25 07:05:28 EDT 2009

On 25 Sep, 09:26, Donn <donn.in... at gmail.com> wrote:

> You could use distutils (setup.py) and include a readme that explains what
> apt-get commands to use to install pygame, etc. Generally it's better to *not*
> include the kitchen-sink with your apps; rather expect the user to have those
> libraries already or be able to fetch them with ease.

The various package installers and dpkg will probably complain about
missing packages, but one could go all the way and set up a repository
which works with apt-get. I did something elementary of this nature
with some Shed Skin packages:

http://packages.boddie.org.uk/

There will undoubtedly be things I haven't quite done right here, but
it would give a reasonable installation experience, although there
would need to be a number of packages available through the repository
for the configuration exercise to be worthwhile.

> I did my best at explaining that deeply confusing setup.py process here:http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Tutorial

This is a nice tutorial, and I'll have to see if I can contribute
anything to it later.

> I have also seen two other approaches:
> 1. A new app called 'Quickly' which is some kind of magical auto-do-
> everything-ubuntu connected to Launchpad. From what I hear it sounds very
> cool.https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Karmic/Quickly
> 2. The Ubuntu PPA repositories -- google around. (Seems Quickly does this too)

The problem with some Ubuntu stuff, sadly, is that the maintainers
like to have their own special toolset which isolates them from the
more general Debian ways of working. In addition, Launchpad, despite
its recent open-sourcing (in most respects), is perceived as something
of a walled garden. Still, if it contributes good ideas to the
mainstream, I suppose it's not all bad.

Paul