Finding application data after install - a solution?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Sep 25 01:24:41 EDT 2009

En Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:21:59 -0300, Wolodja Wentland
<wentland at cl.uni-heidelberg.de> escribió:

>> You should probably raise this issue at the distutils-sig mailing
>> list: http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/distutils-sig/
>
> I already did [1] but the distutils developers are quite busy discussing
> a the new format for setup.cfg. I did not got any feedback on the
> solution I developed and thought that other Python users might have a
> better solution to this problem.
>
> How do *you* deal with application data in your programs? Is there a way
> that works on as many platforms as possible?

On linux, using a configuration file like /etc/fooapplication.conf
On Windows, using a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\My
Bussiness Name\Foo Application.
In either place, there is an entry pointing to the actual directory where
data is stored.
I never had the problem you want to solve, probably I'm just lucky (or
perhaps my users are "geek" enough to know how to edit a config file, or
dumb enough to never change the system settings...)

--
Gabriel Genellina