IDE for python similar to visual basic

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 24 07:14:50 EDT 2009

In article <pan.2009.09.11.12.02.03.656000 at nowhere.com>,
Nobody  <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:56:17 +0000, Albert van der Horst wrote:

<SNIP>

>> In view of the above this is not quite the correct way to put it.
>>
>> What I resent is that it leads to a non-professional attitude
>> of the graphical part. Programming is over, lets now kludge
>> some screens together. No. The graphics part has to be carefully
>> designed, carefully tested, and carefully "written", even if it
>> is using a graphical tool. So, yes please, *do* create a GUI
>> "programmatically".
>
>My view is that the program should provide functionality without
>unnecessarily dictating the way in which that functionality is used.
>Essentially, it's an issue of "loose coupling".
>
>The interface really should be configurable by the user according to their
>needs. The code doesn't need to *know* the position or dimensions of
>a widget, or its label or colour or spacing, let alone dictate them.
>
>In most cases, the code shouldn't even get to dictate that specific
>widgets even exist. Rather, it should provide actions which can
>be bound to buttons, menu items and/or accelerators as the user chooses.

I don't necessarily disagree. But how does this work in practice?

I have a totally programmable editor (I do, I'm using it right no.)
I'm able to redefine commands to the point that I have no longer a
command to quit the program, and even have no longer a possibility to
define a new key-combination to quit the program. The hacker who wrote
it would say: "don't do that".
Combined with my habit to switch the Caps lock and control keys
and use the editor full-screen, someone else really gets nowhere.

What if I prefer to have the gaz throttle and the clutch pedal of my
car switched. Is that a good idea?

Bottomline, "let the user choose" must not be an excuse for us,
where we are not able to propose a good choice.

(You may read the subject note-eater on my website.)

Groetjes Albert

albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst