Copy directory tree without copying files

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Sep 23 11:31:48 EDT 2009

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> On Sep 23, 9:15 am, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>> Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>>> I am trying to copy a folder hierarchy from one location to another.
>>> I can use the shutil.copytree function to copy the folder tree, but I
>>> don't want the files copied, just the folders.  What is a good way to
>>> approach this?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeremy
>> Use os.walk and create the directories as they appear?
>>
>> TJG
>
> I was hoping to use os.walk, but this doesn't work because I wont know
> when os.walk descends into a new directory or which directory it
> descends into.  Perhaps I don't understand everything about it.

Some rough but working code might help you out here:

<code>
import os

source_dir = "c:/temp/oldtree"
target_dir = "c:/temp/newtree" # should not exist yet

for dirpath, dirnames, filenames in os.walk (source_dir):
  os.mkdir (os.path.join (target_dir, dirpath[1+len (source_dir):]))

os.startfile (target_dir)

</code>

TJG