easy question, how to double a variable

Hyuga hyugaricdeau at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:41:11 EDT 2009

On Sep 22, 9:57 am, Grant Edwards <inva... at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2009-09-22, Mel <mwil... at the-wire.com> wrote:
>
> > Tim Roberts wrote:

> >> What are you, eleven years old?
>
> >> Look, you asked us to answer for you what is CLEARLY a homework question.
> >> It is unethical for you to ask that, and it is unethical for us to answer
> >> it.
>
> > Forget ethical.  We can do his homework for him, we can perhaps pass exams
> > for him, maybe graduate for him, and then with our luck, he'll get a job in
> > our office and we get to do his work for him.
>
> No, no, no.  The plan is to do his homework for him so that
> he's incompetent when he graduates and won't be competition for
> the rest of us who did do our homework.

Well, while they may not be as much competition come promotion time, I
think Mr. Finney had it right that these people *do* still somehow get
hired, and then the rest of us end up having to do enough work for
multiple people.  Sometimes spending more time redoing other peoples'
shoddy work than it would have taken to do ourselves in the first
place.  Annoying for the programmer, but really bad for business.