pyjamas pyv8run converts python to javascript, executes under command-line

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Sep 19 20:05:23 EDT 2009

On 19 Sep, 11:04 pm, robert.kern at gmail.com wrote:

>>>I've added pyjamas to the implementations page on the Python Wiki in
>>>the compilers section:
>>>
>>>http://wiki.python.org/moin/implementation
>>
>>In what way is pyjamas a python implementation? As far as I know
>>pyjamas is an application written in python that is capable of
>>generating javascript code. Does this make it a 'python
>>implementation'? That would be news to me but I've been wrong many
>>times before.
>
>It converts Python code to Javascript.

The question is whether it converts Python code to JavaScript code with
the same behavior.  I think you're implying that it does, but you left
it implicit, and I think the point is central to deciding if pyjamas is
a Python implementation or not, so I thought I'd try to make it
explicit.

Does pyjamas convert any Python program into a JavaScript program with
the same behavior?  I don't intend to imply that it doesn't - I haven't
been keeping up with pyjamas development, so I have no idea idea.  I
think that the case *used* to be (perhaps a year or more ago) that
pyjamas only operated on a fairly limited subset of Python.  If this was
the case but has since changed, it might explain why some people are
confused to hear pyjamas called a Python implementation now.

Jean-Paul