python decimals

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:49:31 EDT 2009

On Sep 16, 1:35 am, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svet... at gmail.com> wrote:
> It only reflects the fact what comp.lang.python replicated by several
> web sites.
> Unfortunately looks like there are no link to library implements that :
> (

A few random thoughts:

If you just want fixed-precision decimal, there may be simpler
solutions
than using the decimal module.  Contrary to popular belief, the
decimal
module (and decNumber) provides floating-point decimal arithmetic, not
fixed-point (though its treatment of exponents means that it can
emulate
fixed-point arithmetic well).

Can you use the ctypes module to wrap the decnumber library?  That
might be faster than writing a full-fledged extension module.  Cython
might be useful, too.

If you do create your own Python bindings for decnumber, is there any
chance you'd be allowed make them public (e.g., on PyPI)?  I think
there are many people who would find such bindings useful.

--
Mark