python 3.1 unicode question

jeffunit jeff at jeffunit.com
Tue Sep 15 10:41:16 EDT 2009

I wrote a program that diffs files and prints out matching file names.
I will be executing the output with sh, to delete select files.

Most of the files names are plain ascii, but about 10% of them have unicode
characters in them. When I try to print the string containing the name, I get
an exception:

'ascii' codec can't encode character '\udce9'
in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)

The string is:

'./Julio_Iglesias-Un_Hombre_Solo-05-Qu\udce9_no_se_rompa_la_noche.mp3'

This is on a windows xp system, using python 3.1 which I compiled
with the cygwin
linux compatability layer tool.

Can you tell me what encoding I need to print \udce9 and how to set python to
that encoding mode?

thanks,
jeff